Hagia Sophia Location | Getting to the Hagia Sophia, Best Ways to Reach the Mosque, & More
Where is Hagia Sophia Located?
Address: Sultan Ahmet Ayasofya Meydanı No:1 34122/Istanbul
Hagia Sophia is located in Istanbul, Turkey. The mosque is situated in the European part of Sultanahmet Square, near the Topkapi Palace, another famous landmark in Istanbul. Hagia Sophia's prime location makes it the best spot for day trips. On your visit to the Hagia Sophia Church, you can visit the Grand Bazaar, Basilica Cistern, and other attractions in Sultanahmet Square.
Closest Landmark: Hagia Sophia is only 1.8 km away from the famous Topkapi Palace.
Getting to the Hagia Sophia by Public Transport
Closest Bus Stop: Çatladıkapı - Yenikapı Yönü (13-minute walk)
- The Istanbul International airport is 20 km from Hagia Sophia. It’ll take you around one hour by bus to reach the mosque from the airport.
- The nearest bus stop to Hagia Sophia is Çatladıkapı - Yenikapı Yönü. The stop is a 13-minute walk away from Hagia Sophia.
- The last bus to Hagia Sophia is BN1. It reaches Hagia Sophia by 12:18 AM.
- Bus Routes 35A, 36, 36ES, 38, 38Z,97, and 92B will get you to the Hagia Sophia.
Closest Train Station: Sikeci (a 16-minute walk).
- You can take the train from the airport to Hagia Sophia as well. The journey will take around 1 hour.
- The nearest train station to Hagia Sophia is Sirkeci which is a 7-minute walk away from Hagia Sophia.
- You can take the Marmaray (Ataköy - Pendik) train or the Marmaray (Halkali- Gebze) train to reach Hagia Sophia.
- The Marmaray (Halkali- Gebze) is the last train to Hagia Sophia.
Closest Metro Station: Sultanahmet (a 7-minute walk)
- If you take the metro from the airport, you can reach Hagia Sophia within 50 minutes.
- The nearest metro station to Hagia Sophia is Sultanahmet, which is a 7-minute walk from the mosque.
- You’ll have to take metro M2 to reach Hagia Sophia.
Closest Tram Station: Sultanahmet (a 7-minute walk)
- It’ll take around one hour to reach Hagia Sophia from the airport via tram.
- The nearest tram station to Hagia Sophia is Sultanahmet, which is a 7-minute walk from the mosque.
- Take tram T1 to reach Hagia Sophia.
Getting to Hagia Sophia by Car
- Driving to the Hagia Sophia is one of the faster ways to reach the mosque.
- Hagia Sophia is located 20 km away from the Istanbul International Airport. It’ll take you around 1 hour to reach the mosque from the airport.
- There are two routes that you can go for. The shortest and quickest route from the International airport to Hagia Sophia is via D020. You can also take the O-7, to reach the mosque from the airport. The travel time for both these routes is pretty much the same. The D020 will get you to Hagia Sophia within an hour whereas the O-7 route will get you to the mosque in 1 hour and 8 minutes.
- It's a good idea to check Google Maps before leaving the airport to understand which route you should take to reach Hagia Sophia.
There are no parking facilities at the Hagia Sophia, but you can park your car at any of these car parks.
- Naz Otopark: The Naz Otopark is only 750 m away from Hagia Sophia. After parking your car here, you will have to walk for 8 minutes to reach the mosque.
- Sports CarPark: The Sports CarPark is also only 750 m away from the Hagia Sophia. You’ll have to walk for 9 minutes from the car park to reach the mosque.
- Dalbasti Parking: Dalbasti Parking is the closest car park to Hagia Sophia. It's only 260 m away from the mosque. You just have to walk for 3 minutes after parking your car to reach the Hagia Sophia.
- Ispark Otopark: This parking area is only a 2-minute walk to the Hagia Sophia.
- Ispark: Another parking garage near the Hagia Sophia is Ispark. This parking facility is a 3-minute walk from the mosque.
Walking to the Hagia Sophia
Travel Time: 4 minutes (260 m)
The closest landmark to Hagia Sophia is the Topkapi Palace, which is only a 4-minute walk away.
If you want to explore Istanbul like a local and soak in all its sights and sounds, try to walk to attractions that are near to each other. For example, you could explore Hagia Sophia and Topkapi Palace in one day since they are located close to each other.
Book Hagia Sophia Tickets
Frequently Asked Questions about Getting to the Hagia Sophia
A. The Hagia Sophia is located at Sultan Ahmet Ayasofya Meydanı No:1 34122 in Istanbul.
A. The Hagia Sophia is in Istanbul, Turkey.
A. You can use public transport such as buses, trains, metros, or trams to reach Hagia Sophia. Most of these modes of transport have stops at Sultanahmet Square which is only a 5-minute walk away from the mosque.
A. The fastest way to get to Hagia Sophia is by taking a car or a taxi. You’ll reach the mosque within an hour if you are coming from Istanbul International Airport.
A. The Çatladıkapı - Yenikapı Yönü is the closest bus stop to Hagia Sophia. It’s a 13-minute walk from the stop to the mosque.
A. The closest train station is Sikeci, which is a 16-minute walk from the Hagia Sophia.
A. You cannot park at the Hagia Sophia, but you can park at one of the many parking facilities available around the attraction like Sports Car Park, or the Dalbasti Parking.
A. Yes. You can park your car at Naz Otopark, Sports Car Park, or the Dalbasti Parking. These parking facilities are 5-8 minutes away from Hagia Sophia.
A. If you are coming from the Topkapi Palace, you can easily walk to the Hagia Sophia. The mosque is only a 4-minute walk away from the palace.